Safety & Training
- User Guide and Resources
- User Portal
- SLAC Access Requirements for Users
- Links by Category
Each person who works at LCLS is required to be familiar with and identify in advance the hazards associated with his/her work, the hazards associated with work areas, and to properly implement all necessary procedures and protocols for mitigation of those hazards. Each person is required to observe all federal, state, local and SLAC/LCLS workplace safety regulations as well as Integrated Safety & Environmental Management System (ISEMS) and Work Planning and Control (WPC).
Proposal Safety Review
A series of safety related questions are incorporated into the proposal and beam time support request review process. Please answer these questions and provide additional information as appropriate. When appropriate, the LCLS Safety Office will contact you and coordinate specific training and controls to mitigate potential safety issues associated with your proposed experiment.
Email Marc Weibel, LCLS Safety Officer, to discuss all safety issues related to user proposals or scheduled experiments.
LCLS users must complete the following safety training courses online BEFORE arriving at SLAC to receive a new badge (or renewed proximity access on their current badge):
Once you have received your SLAC System ID #, please follow the instructions below.
- You can find your SLAC System ID number on your SLAC Directory page by going here http://www-public.slac.stanford.edu/phonebook/search.aspx.
- SLAC web training is compatible with Windows computers using the Edge, Chrome or Firefox browsers and Mac computers using Safari, Chrome and Firefox.
- Internet Explorer is not supported as of Sept. 7th, 2021.
- Linux computers have limited support.
- Please turn your pop up blocker off or allow pop ups for https://slactraining.csod.com/
- Get your password by filling out the Training Portal Password Request form
- Click here to log into the Web Training Portal
- Click the red Manual Log in button to access the login page where you will enter your SLAC system ID number and the password which was emailed to you from the previous step.
(Please note, this is the 'Training Portal Password', and not your UNIX password or your User Portal password.)
- If you were given a system ID with the leading zeros, drop them when you enter your number. So 000001234567 becomes 1234567.
- NOTE: YOU WILL BE REQUIRED TO CHANGE TO A CUSTOM PASSWORD AFTER YOUR FIRST LOG IN. PLEASE SAVE YOUR NEW PASSWORD WHERE YOU CAN FIND IT TO ACCESS THE TRAINING PORTAL IN THE FUTURE.
- If you forgot your password, you can reset it by using this link
- After log-in, click on the Course Catalog link under where it says Start Here.
- Enter the number and/or name of the course you need in the Learning Search box at the top of the screen to find your course.
- This will bring up the course landing page. Click the Launch button to launch the course.
- NOTE: You are not required to take all the courses listed. Only take those courses assigned to you by your supervisor/SLAC contact
Click on the "Users" folder and then select the following courses to complete:
Course 219 - ESH Safety Orientation (You must view every slide to receive course credit)
Course 115 - GERT (Passing the quiz with a score of at least 80% is required to receive course credit)
Course LCLS07 - LCLS Building Orientation (This course is in the "LCLS" folder)
Course CS100 - Cyber Security for Laboratory Users Training (for Users needing LCLS computer account and/or users participating in experiments via remote access)
Only for Users coming onsite to SLAC under the COVID-19 requirements, complete ESH Course 100R - COVID-19 Training
Roll over the course name and you will see a "Launch" link. Click this link to launch the course.
Please verify your training was recorded by clicking the 'My Progress' tab to the left of the picture on your SkillSoft home page.
Once you have completed your courses, print your certificates of completion! Take the certificates with you to get your badge.
Your training completion should automatically post to your SLAC training record within 2 hours. If it does not, email a copy of your certificate to email@example.com to receive course credit.
If you close the course before you print your certificate or the course you take does not offer a certificate at the end, you can print a copy of your certificate of completion by following these instructions:
1. Login to the Web Training Portal.
2. Click on the Your Transcript link under Start Here.
3. Filter your Training Status in the pull down menu by Completed.
4. To the right of the course you want, click the pull down menu and select View Certificate.
5. This will bring up a window giving you the option of printing or saving your certificate.
Additional training requirements may be identified for LCLS users who plan to perform particular types of hazardous work while they are at LCLS. Additional supplemental safety training courses may include Laser Worker Safety Training, Radiological Worker Training (RWT), Hutch 6 Non-Permit Confined Space Training, Sample Delivery Training, Sample Preparation Laboratory Training or other courses identified by the LCLS Safety Officer or assigned by the LCLS Experiment 'Point of Contact' . If there are other courses needed, please ask your LCLS Experiment 'Point of Contact' to make arrangements for you.
Feedback is an important part of the Integrated Safety & Environmental Management System (ISEMS). Users are required to complete an end of run survey through the user portal after each scheduled experiment. The feedback provided by users will be used to address issues raised by users and to continually improve user resources and support. User feedback will be shared with LCLS safety office, management, staff, and scientific advisory committees.
Users are also encouraged to contact the LCLS Users' Organization Executive Committee to share their suggestions or concerns.
Safety at SLAC
- For life-threatening emergencies, call 911 first, then ext. 5111 for SLAC EMT response.
- For other emergencies, call 911 or ext. 5555.
- If you have any problems, need any assistance or observe any suspicious activity while at SLAC, contact Security at (650) 926-2551.
- Marc Weibel
LCLS Safety Officer
- SLAC Occupational Health Center
M-F 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Building 28, Room 11