MFX - Macromolecular Femtosecond Crystallography
- AMO - Atomic, Molecular & Optical Science
- CXI - Coherent X-ray Imaging
- MEC - Matter in Extreme Conditions
- MFX - Macromolecular Femtosecond Crystallography
- SXR - Soft X-ray Materials Science
- XCS - X-ray Correlation Spectroscopy
- XPP - X-ray Pump Probe
- SLAC MeV-UED
- LCLS-II Instruments (L2SI)
- NEH 1.1 or Time-resolved AMO (TMO)
- NEH 1.2 or Tender X-ray Instrument (TXI)
- NEH 2.2
- Instrument Maps
- Standard Configurations
The Macromolecular Femtosecond Crystallography (MFX) instrument will primarily make use of the ability for short pulses of X-rays to limit damage to samples during the exposure. The “diffraction-before-destruction” concept can enable high resolution data to be collected on radiation-sensitive samples, primarily biological samples. This will allow for example the study of metal-containing macromolecules which are particularly sensitive to radiation damage due to the high absorption of X-rays by the metal atoms.
The MFX instrument will be primarily focused on macromolecular crystallography at atmospheric pressure, utilizing the widely developed techniques from synchrotron sources. A variety of sample delivery and handling methods will be available, including a fixed target, rapid scanning goniometer as well as versatile liquid jet systems. Plans include helium atmosphere sample environments as well as humidity control.
A versatile platform for experiments will be provided with a large area sample table as well as a floor-mounted detector mover and a ceiling-mounted detector robot. This will allow other complementary techniques to be used simultaneously with crystallographic methods.
Long term plans include a pump laser system for both time-esolved measurements as well as sample characterization.
For more information about the MFX instrument, please read the following article:
- R. G. Sierra et al., "The Macromolecular Femtosecond Crystallography Instrument at the Linac Coherent Light Source", J. Synchrotron Radiat. 26, 346 (2019) doi: 10.1107/S1600577519001577
The MFX instrument is located in Hutch 4.5 of the Far Experimental Hall (FEH) of LCLS. The hutch is ~10 m long by 5 m wide and located 430 m away from the LCLS source.
MFX Contact Info
MFX Area Manager
Control Room: (650) 926-1745
MFX Hutch: (650) 926-1845