SPL Laboratory Waste
- Detector Department
- Hard X-ray Department (HXR)
- Lasers for Accelerators (L4A) R&D
- Laser Science and Technology (LST)
- Photon Control and Data Systems (PCDS)
- Sample Environment & Delivery (SED)
- Sample Preparation Laboratories (SPL)
- Biolabs at the Arrillaga Science Center (ASC)
All waste produced in the Sample Prep Labs should be appropriately disposed of at SLAC. You are prohibited from transporting waste back to your home institution. Designated areas exist in the labs for sharps, broken glass, and hazardous waste. Sharps, broken glass, and hazardous waste must never be disposed of in the trash cans or sink drains.
Bottles, jars, and plastic bags are available for containing chemical waste. Place hazardous waste in an appropriately sized container and ensure it is tightly sealed. Separate solid waste from liquid waste (e.g. kimwipes from acid). Do not mix incompatible wastes (e.g. flammable solvent with oxidizer).
All hazardous waste must be labeled. Labels, found on hanging rolls in the lab, must include chemical name and approximate concentration, physical state, relevant hazards, your name, the date, and the beamline or extension where you can be reached.lead, mercury, selenium, arsenic, chromium, cadmium, and silver.
Once contained and labeled, hazardous waste should be placed into the lab’s hazardous waste cabinet. Waste should be segregated by hazard type into the appropriate bin.
Non-hazardous Lab Waste
Non-hazardous lab waste like proteins, biological buffers, and salts may be eligible for sink disposal. Candidates for sink disposal must be approved by the lab manager in advance.
If you plan on producing large volumes of waste, please let us know before you begin your experiment.
SPL Contact Info
SPL Links & Resources
Safety at SLAC
- For life-threatening emergencies, call 911 first, then ext. 5111 for SLAC EMT response.
- For other emergencies, call 911 or ext. 5555.
- If you have any problems, need any assistance or observe any suspicious activity while at SLAC, contact Security at (650) 926-2551.
- Ian Evans
LCLS Safety Officer
- SLAC Occupational Health Center
M-F 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Building 28, Room 11