SPL Chemical Resources
SPL Chemical Resources
- Detector Department
- Hard X-ray Department (HXR)
- Lasers for Accelerators (L4A) R&D
- Laser Science and Technology (LST)
- Photon Control and Data Systems (PCDS)
- Sample Environment & Delivery (SED)
- Sample Preparation Laboratories (SPL)
- Biolabs at the Arrillaga Science Center (ASC)
All Sample Preparation Labs are stocked with an assortment of common solvents, acids, bases, buffers, and other reagents. See our Chemical Inventories for a list of available reagents. Chemical inventories are organized according to the Stanford Compatible Storage Group Guide. If you need large quantities of any chemicals, please order or bring your own supply (see below). Please obtain the Lab Manager's permission before using or removing chemicals from the laboratories.
Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs)
If you will be working with any samples or reagents that are significantly toxic, reactive, corrosive, flammable, or otherwise especially hazardous, we may require an approved SOP before you can begin work. Examples: Reagents with an NFPA Rating of 3 or 4 in any category, nanomaterials, heavy metals, pyrophoric materials, water reactive materials.
All chemical orders must be placed through SLAC’s chemical procurement system; you cannot direct ship chemicals from a supplier to SLAC. Please contact us for ordering requests at least 3 weeks in advance. Provide the following information: chemical name, manufacturer’s name, part number, size, date required, user account number, Safety Data Sheets, and a 1-2 sentence description of chemical handling plans.
Shipping Chemicals & Samples
If you are shipping chemicals and/or samples to and from LCLS, please see the Shipping Equipment & Materials page.
Bringing Chemicals & Samples
If you are planning to transport your chemicals or samples to SLAC, strict adherence to Departement of Transportation rules is required. Please contact Sample Prep Lab Staff or the LCLS Safety Office for approval and guidance.
Using Lab Chemicals
All chemicals in the lab are available for User's use. Please obtain the Lab Manager’s permission before removing chemicals from the laboratories, and inform them when a bottle is getting below 25% full.
SPL Contact Info
Safety at SLAC
- For life-threatening emergencies, call 911 first, then ext. 5111 for SLAC EMT response.
- For other emergencies, call 911 or ext. 5555.
- If you have any problems, need any assistance or observe any suspicious activity while at SLAC, contact Security at (650) 926-2551.
- Ian Evans
LCLS Safety Officer
- SLAC Occupational Health Center
M-F 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Building 28, Room 11