- Detector Department
- Hard X-ray Department (HXR)
- Lasers for Accelerators (L4A) R&D
- Laser Science and Technology (LST)
- Photon Control and Data Systems (PCDS)
- Sample Environment & Delivery (SED)
- Sample Preparation Laboratories (SPL)
- Biolabs at the Arrillaga Science Center (ASC)
Please complete the Beam Time Request (BTR) and Support Request forms through the User Portal. Thorough chemical and sample information must be included in your BTR. Support Request forms include a list of collaborators that require laboratory access and your group's laboratory equipment requests. Researcher safety is taken seriously at SLAC. Please remember that radioactive materials, nanomaterials, and biohazardous materials have additional safety requirements. Refer to the LCLS Safety Office for further guidance.
Once you arrive you must complete training and access forms before accessing the Sample Preparation Laboratories (SPL). All Sample Prep Lab doors are locked with access key codes or RFID systems. Once your SPL access procedures are complete you will receive the key code or RFID access.
1. Sample Prepartion Laboratory Training, Course 204
Course 204 training expires one year from the date of completion. The initial training is ~45 minutes in length and covers lab policy, resources, safety, and emergency information. Annual refresher training is required in subsequent years. Refresher training is ~15 minutes in length.
LCLS Course 204 sessions are by appointment only, and meet in B999 Rm 109 or B950 Rm 112. To make an appointment please contact your experimental POC and Christopher Kupitz. Please keep in mind that training slots are only available from 8am-2pm. LCLS training slots must be reserved in advance due to space limitations within the LCLS lab.
2. SPL Access Form
A new SPL Access Form must be submited to your POC for every beam time. The SPL Access form requires a list of chemicals and samples you are bringing into the labs. This form acts as our daily inventory and must include both hazardous and nonhazardous samples and reagents.
After Hours Arrival
If you plan to arrive at SLAC outside of normal business hours, please make prior arrangements with your POC and Christopher Kupitz.
SPL Contact Info
Safety at SLAC
- For life-threatening emergencies, call 911 first, then ext. 5111 for SLAC EMT response.
- For other emergencies, call 911 or ext. 5555.
- If you have any problems, need any assistance or observe any suspicious activity while at SLAC, contact Security at (650) 926-2551.
- Ian Evans
LCLS Safety Officer
- SLAC Occupational Health Center
M-F 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Building 28, Room 11