These instructions are provided to help proposal collaborators prepare for LCLS beam time.
Register as new user and confirm user agreement
Before traveling to SLAC, log in to the user portal to register as a new user (include your proposal spokesperson, number, instrument, scheduled beam time). Confirm that a User Agreement has been completed with your institution.
- See the User Agreements page.
Review access changes and check-in proceduresBEFORE TRAVELING TO SLAC, inform your colleagues about access changes. Ensure all experimenters are listed on proposals & beam time support requests and complete the following steps:
- Register through the user portal to provide or update contact information.
- Contact User Research Administration for additional requirements for users from certain countries.
- Ensure that you have an appropriate business visa (e.g., B1 or VWP Business, WB, not B2/VWP Tourist, WT).
- Review updated LCLS user arrival & check-in procedures.
- Complete all training.
- Confirm that your collaborators are on the access list and have completed training.
- Stop at the VUE Center to obtain a new ID badge and/or proximity access. Bring identification to verify citizenship.
Make reservations for out of town users at the Stanford Guest House as early as possible. Identify yourself as a "User" to access rooms set aside for users during busy Stanford events. If no rooms are available, ask to be included on the wait list so they can contact you if space opens up. See other local lodging accommodations.
Obtaining a SLAC computer account
LCLS users, whom the proposal spokesperson has authorized on his/her Beam Time Support Request, can obtain an LCLS UNIX account via the user portal. (NOTE: This will only work if you do not already have a SLAC account. Let us know if you run into any problems.)
- See the Computer Accounts page.
Check in with User Check-in Coordinator
Prior to entering the experimental area or starting any experiments, check in with User Check-In Coordinator in the VUE Center, Building 53 Room 1042 (Monday-Friday from 7 am - 12 noon and 1- 4 pm (except holidays).
Be cautious at all times
Exercise caution when driving, biking or walking at SLAC as construction projects are underway and many roads have limited lighting, signage or shoulders for emergency pull off. Remember to share the roads with other people, vehicles and animals, particularly dusk through dawn when visibility is reduced.
If you have any problems, need any assistance or observe any suspicious activity while at SLAC, contact Security at 650-926-2551. For EMERGENCIES, CALL 911 OR 5555.
Return dosimeter / SLAC ID before you leaveBefore departing SLAC, return your dosimeter (if issued) to URA or Security. Return your SLAC ID badge to URA or Security at the conclusion of your experiment if you do not plan to return.
Complete end of run survey
Complete an end of run survey to provide immediate feedback from your experiment.
Submit your new publications
Work with your proposal team and spokesperson to inform the LCLS User Research Administration when papers are accepted or about to be published. Communicating research results with us in advance allows us to work with users, their home institutions and funding agencies to promote the latest LCLS science and to amplify media efforts through press releases and features. User publications are extremely important in demonstrating the scientific impact of LCLS. Submit papers online through the LCLS Publication Submission web form. Acknowledge LCLS and the DOE Office of Science in presentations and publications using this template:
Use of the Linac Coherent Light Source (LCLS), SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory, is supported by the U.S. Department of Energy, Office of Science, Office of Basic Energy Sciences under Contract No. DE-AC02-76SF00515.
If you have any questions, please contact User Research Administration.
We look forward to your visit to LCLS!
Safety at SLAC
- For life-threatening emergencies, call 911 first, then ext. 5111 for SLAC EMT response.
- For other emergencies, call 911 or ext. 5555.
- If you have any problems, need any assistance or observe any suspicious activity while at SLAC, contact Security at (650) 926-2551.
- Ian Evans
LCLS Safety Officer
- SLAC Occupational Health Center
M-F 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Building 28, Room 11